Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Eating my Words

I recently sent out an e-mail update which included "ridiculous things
my students have said to me recently." These included things like
"Cutting a child's hair will make her grow taller" and "Drinking milk
will make your skin pale." I find it part amusing and part
frustrating that my students seem to say and believe almost anything
without actually reasoning through it or looking it up. (In my
writing class, critical thinking is one of the areas in which my
students need the most help.)

BUT.

A few people wrote back and gently reminded me that we all say
ridiculous things too. So, in an exercise in cultural humility on my
part, I thought I would even the playing field and present some of the
ridiculous statements that Americans say without actually reasoning
through them or looking them up:

Carrots make your eyesight better.

Playing Mozart to your unborn baby makes him smarter.

Columbus discovered America.

Coffee cures a hangover.

Any others?

1 comment:

  1. How about---

    An apple a day keeps the doctor away.

    Cold hands, warm heart

    If you get cold, you'll catch a cold.

    If your ears are ringing some one is talking about you.

    Are your ears ringing? :) Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete